1. To support the development of a cross-disciplinarily community that draws on faculty and researchers from schools and departments throughout the university.
2. To foster research collaboration among affiliated faculty and researchers through the co-authoring of papers, co-advising of students, and joint pursuit of external funding.
3. To provide a forum for discussion and dissemination of ideas through regularly offered seminars, workshops, and university/industry events.
4. To foster collaboration with industry and increase technology transfer through industry sponsored projects, student internships, and faculty consulting.
5. To enhance educational programs and industry outreach through short courses, degree certificates, and onsite training.