Home > Undergraduate Program: Senior Design Sponsorship
Senior Design Project Sponsorship
The major design experience for ISyE students takes place in the Senior Design course where groups of 3-4 students work on projects proposed by ISyE industry affiliates. Each team works with a faculty advisor and industry mentor for 15 weeks to scope the project, perform analysis and discover insights, test and measure potential solutions, and deliver recommendations.
Submit a Project Proposal
- Large scope and challenge commensurate with student time requirement
- Significant value to sponsor
- Use of Industrial and Systems Engineering knowledge and methodologies
- Scope includes opportunity for students to recommend a design or modification of a system or process
Benefits to Project Industry Partners
- At least 150 hours of work from each student team member
- Fresh perspective, proposals, and solutions to your important business problems
- Project Charter, two Project Updates, final Project Report and Presentation to keep students and sponsors on the same page and maximum project value
- Relationships with highly qualified Industrial Engineering students, which may lead to recruitment opportunities
- Access to ISyE faculty knowledge and resources
Expectations of Project Industry Partners
True interest in project
- Commitment of Industry Mentor to team
- Degree in Engineering or related field
- Reasonable responsiveness to student contacts
- Responsible for client-side organization (meetings, site visits, data, etc.), answering student questions
Commitment to providing access to data and site
- Students are highly motivated to provide real value to sponsors!
Proposing a Project
Projects may be proposed via this Google form: ISyE Senior Design Proposal.
- Proposals received by October 21, 2016, will receive full consideration.
ISyE Senior Design 2017 Key Dates
Friday, 11/4: Project selection notification sent out to project proposers by this date.
Thursday, 11/17: Senior Design Proposal Fair between 1:25-3:20. Sponsors of selected projects are invited to campus to pitch your project, and your company, to ISyE Seniors. This is your opportunity to get students excited about working on your project!
Friday, 12/16: Industry Sponsors will receive the names of their Senior Design team members and faculty advisor by this date.
- Class meeting time: Students and instructors will meet on Tuesdays from 2:30-4:30.
Group meeting time: Thursdays from 2:30-4:30 is available for group work time. This is a great time to meet with your team, but scheduling of meetings is left to the discretion of students and mentors.
Class deliverables: 5 documents must be submitted for class credit during the semester. These are the key project milestones through the semester. Specific due dates are below.
Tuesday, 1/17: First day of class. Teams will meet with their faculty advisers. Expect your teams to contact you after this afternoon.
Thursday, 1/19: Group meeting time between 2:30-4:30. This would be a great time for an initial group meeting, either on campus or at your sites.
Friday, 1/27: Project Charters due.
Friday, 2/17: Project Definition due.
3/10: Progress Report 1 due.
3/11-3/19: Spring Break. No classes this week.
4/7: Progress Report 1 due.
5/2: Final Reports due.
5/2 and 5/4: In class presentations. You are encouraged to attend the day your team is presenting.
5/1-5/11: You are encouraged to arrange for your team to present their projects at your company during these two weeks.
If you have any questions or would like feedback on a potential project idea, please contact us at email@example.com.
Fan Jia received honorable mention, 2016 SOLA Dissertation Award... Read More...
Professor Benjaafar - named Director of the Initiative on the Sharing Economy... Read More...
Symposium on the Sharing Economy held last May... Read More...
Sherwin Doroudi - joined the Department as an Assistant Professor... Read More...
Mehdi Behroozi, a recent ISyE PhD grad, offered position as Asst. Professor at Northeastern... Read More...
ISyE Undergrad student Christopher Kuehn - co-founder of AdrenaCard, an epi-pen alternative. Read More...
Dr. Leder awarded the NSF CAREER Award: Rare Events in Cancer Evolution with a grant in the amount of $500,000. Read More...
A paper by ISyE doctoral student Xiang Li was a finalist for the 2016 POMS-HK Best Student Paper Award. Read More...
Professor Benjaafar - keynote speaker at the Big Data and Connected Business Conference held in Taipei, Taiwan. Read More...
Mehdi Behroozi - Second Place Award in the IIE Doctoral Colloquium Poster Presentations Competition. Read More...
Dr. Zhang's paper "Semidefinite Relaxation of Quadratic Optimization Problems" - 2015 SPS Signal Processing Magazine Best Paper Award.
ISyE professors Cooper and Wang awarded NSF grant of $269,000 for August 2015-2018 - "Revenue Management with Network Effects." Read More...
Dr. Zhang - awarded $299,999 NSF grant for his project "Gradient Methods for Solving Big Data (Tensor) Optimization Problems". Read More...